What is A.B.A.?
Applied Behavior Analysis (A.B.A.) is a type of therapy that focuses on improving specific behaviors. This analysis helps us to understand:
- How behavior works
- How behavior is affected by the environment
- How learning takes place
Who benefits from A.B.A.?
A.B.A. is effective for children and adults with autism and disabilities in a variety of settings, including schools, workplaces, homes, and clinics. It has also been shown that consistent A.B.A. can significantly improve behaviors and skills and decrease the need for special services.
How does A.B.A. therapy work?
A.B.A. involves many techniques for understanding and changing behavior and is a flexible treatment:
- Adapted to meet the needs of each unique person
- Provided in many different locations – at home, at school, and in the community
- Teaches skills that are essential in everyday life
- Can involve one-to-one teaching or group instruction